Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pleeeaaaase throw the ball!!

Today I was laying by the pool and I realized how much I missed that big, chocolate boy "snuggling" up beside me on the towel. Oh how it used to annoy me to have a dog thinking he needed to be with me in the blazing sun, when he had a perfectly wonderful shady porch just a few steps away, but his place was always beside me. 

Seven days ago Addie again summoned me out of my studio to the front door in her usual way, she hammered her large jingle bell against the door! About every 1/2 hour or so she decides it's time to play. As usual, I make my way to the door. As as Addie jumps on my leg, I call to Higgins, "go get your toy buddy!" He  hoists his large 140lb self up and wagging his tail, lumbers over to find his favorite toy. The three of us go outside. As Addie (our LhasaPoo) does laps around the yard, Higgins barks loudly until I finally heave a toy for him....He shouldn't be running after a toy....but he just keeps barking, "pleeeease throw it!"  So, as usual, I do. 

Three years ago Higgins lost good use of his right leg. It has been growing horrible arthritis ever since. His hips are bad and he works hard for every step... but he won't stop running after his toys. He loves playtime! I probably should have taken it from him, but I couldn't. So play time took something from him....in an instant it was over. A quick yelp, and I knew the inevitable had happened, his only decent back leg could no longer hold him. It would not be holding him again. Decisions were made. Why had I thrown that silly ball?!

But playtime had given him so much! Any one who knew Higgins knew that he was the loudest if you had a toy in your hand. His bark didn't let up until that toy left your hand and took flight, his body quivering the entire time in anticipation. It was no different that day....Thanks buddy for never giving up playtime, for holding me accountable to spend time with you. You were well loved and you loved us well. Thanks for 10 years of big, furry love!

No comments:

Post a Comment